This article was last updated on April 10, 2018
|Best Road Bike Pedals||Product Dimensions||Weight||Product|
|Speedplay Zero Aero||NA||12 ounces||$239.99||View on Amazon|
|Time Expresso 15||7.7" L x 5.1" W x 2.3" H||1.1 lb||$449.95||View on Amazon|
|Shimano Ultegra SPD-SL 6800||8" L x 5" W x 2" H||1 lb||from $259.99||View on Amazon|
|Shimano PD-R550 SPD-SL Road Pedals||2" L x 6" W x 6.5" H||1 lb||$67.99||View on Amazon|
|Look KEO 2 Max Pedal||2" L x 5" W x 11" H||0.95 lb||from $85.95||View on Amazon|
|Shimano A530 SPD Pedals||7" L x 6" W x 2" H||1. lb||from $57.87||View on Amazon|
|Shimano PD-R540 SPD-SL Road Pedals||1.9" L x 6.3" W x 6.6" H||1 lb||$48.44||View on Amazon|
Cycling offers so much to those who adapt to this lifestyle. It’s not just physically rewarding but also mentally and emotionally satisfying. When you expect your bike to be at its best, finely tuned to carry you to great distances, you also need to be careful of what you put on your bike. Among the three parts that you always get in contact with when riding, the pedals take the most work. It is your partner in getting to wherever you need to go while pushing yourself to the limits. Pedals have transformed to the latest clipless ones where your shoes can be attached like locks on skis. Locking your foot onto a pedal is just a matter of pushing your foot down to stick to the cleat and then unlocking it by jerking your foot outward. It is an innovation that has kept bikers on their seats to prevent from slipping. For this, you need quality pedals to keep you on your toes, literally! Like other products, there is a massive demand and shelves are stacked but without knowing what you’re supposed to get, you may as well have thrown your money into a pit of fire.
So what are we looking for? This article is to provide you with the right information on quality bike pedals as well as offering brands that have been serving cyclists only the best features. Hopefully, you will gain knowledge and insights to get the value that you seek.
Buying Guide for the Best Road Bike Pedals
If you are new to picking road bike pedals, this compiled information will let you know what key features to look for and check. As a veteran, these brands will likely be to your liking and could possibly serve you in the near future if you like what you read.
Features to look for when buying road bike pedals
- The first feature on the list are the cleats. Cleats act like locks to the soles of your shoes to make sure that you are feet stays secured to the road bike pedals. Common cleats have fastening that has three points. Some brands have reversed the system and created shoes that have the mechanism instead and would require additional accessories. Check for damages and make sure that everything is in place. When in doubt, ask questions to the shop owner.
- When it comes to comfort, the float comes into play. It is the measurement made when the foot makes a movement to detach itself from the pedal. As the name suggests, the float should be something that is so light and natural that it won’t cause discomfort on the knees. You should be able to remove your foot right away from the pedals as if it’s barely there. Go for cleats that have ‘zero-float’, one that wouldn’t require too much movement on your knees.
- For beginner’s, the pedal must have a smaller tension release. This is the force exerted when removing your foot from the pedal. Those who are starting out at the biking lifestyle should start at a low tension release to not put stress on the feet.
- Keep eyes on the stack height which is measured from the axle of the pedal reaching down to the soles of the shoe. You must look for low stack height to help you pedal more efficiently.
Speedplay Zero Aero
Speedplay enters with an insanely impressive bike pedal with both sides that can be attached to your shoes no matter what direction it faces whether it’s upside-down of right side up. It is that simple. You also get an option to have to have a 15-degree fixed position or an adjustable float at your prefered range. The creators have also decided to throw in three adjustments for the foot-axis. Each three can be changed or set without causing tow of the adjustments to change. This way, you can avoid misalignment when the cleats had to be changed. You also won’t be worrying about the stack height since the top of the pedal can now be reached closer by the foot, making it easier to pedal. Speedplay’s design is inverted, making it easy and more stable to pedal once the cleat is activated. This pedal will fit both 3-4 holes.
- Great pedals for those with bad knees
- It’s so easy to use because mounting takes lightning fast
- There are no negative reviews for this bike pedal
Mountain bikers and commuters want nothing but the best, one that won’t waste their precious time like the Shimano PD M520 and its double-sided entry. It’s compact and lightweight design with the durability to match how many cyclings you want to do. At 380g each for the pair, mud and water won’t be retained in this bike pedal because its cartridge is sealed. The body is made of alloy with a cage that pops up to make the pedal more stable. This pair of bike pedals offer the same high-grade features as well as an exemplary performance. Thy work well with shoes incorporated with a drilling of SPD 2-bolt.
- The double-sided design makes it even to easy walk even on cleats
- Has excellent mechanical feel
- The durability is superb
- There are no negative reviews for this bike product
Time Expresso 15
Time Expresso’s bike pedals are straight-up lighter than most of its rivals, making use of a carbon flexiaon blade that the cleat entry keeps open until deliberately snapped shut. You only need a screwdriver to adjust the settings and incorporated with an angular float that measures at an angle of +/-degrees that riders with knee issues need. They are easy to use the distance between the sole and pedal is only at 13.5mm. Another noteworthy feature is that theplatform that measures up to 700mm2 that provides maximum support.
- Extremely light and functional for the serious rider.
- Clipping is very easy
- The bearings are binding so it won’t turn
Shimano Ultegra SPD-SL 6800
Shimano PD-R550 SPD-SL Road Pedals
Look KEO 2 Max Pedal
Shimano A530 SPD Pedals
Shimano PD-R540 SPD-SL Road Pedals
Clipless bike pedals were made to make cycling easier at different terrains. Because mountain biking or off-road biking requires to pedal through bumps and irregular ground, pedaling can put so much strain on your knees. Clipless pedals will allow a safer pedalling experience no matter where the adventure takes you. Because there are many bike pedals and companies vying for your purchase, you must take care to follow the features and see what it’ll give you.